Version 6.6 Updated 16 Jan 2022 Approx 2.9 MB (zipped)
An earlier version of this was originally posted at Access World Forums in August 2017.
This application is designed to show many different ways of getting users' attention.
Experienced users will be familiar with some of these ideas already.
1. Formatted message boxes
2. Customised message boxes with HTML formatting & countdown timer
3. Task dialog messages
4. Flashing, scrolling and balloon tooltip text
5. Flashing and scrolling form title bar caption text
6. Form fade, transparency and animation
7. Dim / blur / remove background
8. Add warning sounds (requires speakers)
9. Use text to speech to warn users (requires speakers)
10. A simple 'You have 3 new messages' type feature
Hopefully the code for each approach will be easy to follow and to incorporate into your own applications.
Please don't OVERDO any of the more 'overt' methods or you risk annoying the users of your apps!
a) Some items are intended to be less serious than others!
b) The zip file includes all images & sounds used by this example database.
Click to download: Attention Seeking Database (zipped)
UPDATE - 28 Dec 2021
I ran a 1 hour session on Controlling the Access Interface and Attention Seeking in Access for the US based Access User Group - Eastern Time on 17 Dec 2021.
The video is now available at the Access User Groups channel on You Tube.
Many thanks to Crystal Long (MVP) for the significant amount of time she spent expertly editing the video recording of this session.
A slightly modified version of this video is also available from this website with the overall volume increased.
It can be downloaded directly by clicking this link: Download Video
NOTE: clicking the link starts a DIRECT download of a zipped MP4 file of around 445MB.
Click any image to view a larger version ...